Marin Software Announces Second Quarter 2017 Financial Results
San Francisco, CA (August 10, 2017) – Marin Software Incorporated (NYSE: MRIN), a leading provider of cross-channel, cross-device, enterprise marketing software for advertisers and agencies, today announced financial results for the second quarter ended June 30, 2017.
“Marin’s independent, cross-channel performance advertising platform is helping many of the world’s leading brands to manage their search and social advertising investments in an integrated fashion, driving more revenue and better customer acquisition,” said Chris Lien, chief executive officer of Marin Software. “We continue our efforts to maximize shareholder value with a focus on returning Marin to growth over the course of 2017 while operating with financial discipline.”
Second Quarter 2017 Financial Overview:
- As of June 30, 2017, cash and cash equivalents and restricted cash totaled $33.8 million, compared to $35.7 million as of December 31, 2016.
- Net revenues totaled $18.7 million, a year-over-year decrease of 27%, when compared to $25.8 million in the second quarter of 2016. Net revenues were inclusive of a $0.4 million out-of-period adjustment to correct previously overstated revenues related to the Company’s display product offering.
- GAAP gross profit was $10.5 million, resulting in a gross margin of 56%, compared to GAAP gross profit of $16.9 million and a gross margin of 65% during the second quarter of 2016. Non-GAAP gross profit was $11.8 million, resulting in a non-GAAP gross margin of 63%, compared to non-GAAP gross profit of $18.3 million and a non-GAAP gross margin of 71% during the second quarter of 2016.
- GAAP loss from operations was ($9.6) million, compared to ($4.5) million for the second quarter of 2016. GAAP operating margin was (51%), compared to (17%) during the second quarter of 2016. Non-GAAP loss from operations was ($4.7) million, compared to ($1.0) million for the second quarter of 2016. Non-GAAP operating margin was (25%), compared to (4%) during the second quarter of 2016.
- GAAP net loss was ($10.5) million, or ($0.27) per share, based upon 39.5 million weighted average shares outstanding. This compares to ($4.4) million, or ($0.12) per share, based upon 38.3 million weighted average shares outstanding during the second quarter of 2016. The GAAP net loss was impacted by a goodwill impairment of $2.8 million.
- Non-GAAP net loss was ($5.6) million, or ($0.14) per share, based upon 39.5 million weighted average shares outstanding. This compares to ($0.9) million, or ($0.02) per share, based upon 38.3 million weighted average shares outstanding during the second quarter of 2016.
- Adjusted EBITDA was ($3.4) million, compared to $0.5 million in the second quarter of 2016.
A reconciliation of GAAP to non-GAAP financial measures has been provided in the financial statement tables included in this press release. An explanation of these measures is also included below, under the heading “Non-GAAP Financial Measures.”
Second Quarter 2017 Product Release Highlights:
- Launched “SmartFeed” to solve an unaddressed pain point for retail advertisers seeking integrated product feed and campaign optimization.
- Developed “TruePath” in partnership with Facebook, an industry-first measurement solution using proprietary data that reveals the true, unbiased, user journey from start to finish.
- Debuted “Cross-Channel Campaigns,” a technology that seamlessly interlocks search and social campaigns, and greatly simplifies an otherwise tedious process while ensuring maximum brand exposure and advertising performance.
- Continued incorporating artificial intelligence advancements in our core ad optimization algorithms, with a major upgrade of budget forecasting using deep data analysis for more insightful results over diverse date ranges.
- Developed full support for “Responsive Display Ads” to greatly simplify the marketers’ workflow while simultaneously increasing reach on traditional and custom high-performance native ad placements.
- Achieved major Platform Beta milestone with the unification of search and social applications within a single view for a handful of early adopters.
As of August 10, 2017, Marin is initiating guidance for its third quarter 2017 as follows:
Non-GAAP loss from operations and non-GAAP net loss per share excludes the effects of stock-based compensation, amortization of internally developed software, amortization of intangible assets, impairment of goodwill and long-lived assets, non-cash expenses related to debt agreements, non-recurring costs associated with acquisitions and restructurings, and capitalization of internally developed software.
Additionally, the Company does not reconcile its forward-looking non-GAAP financial measures, non-GAAP loss from operations and non-GAAP net loss per share, due to variability between revenues and non-cash items such as stock-based compensation. The GAAP measures, loss from operations and net loss per share, include stock-based compensation expense, which is affected by hiring and retention needs, as well as the future price of Marin’s stock. As a result, a reconciliation of the forward-looking non-GAAP financial measures to the corresponding GAAP measures cannot be made without unreasonable effort.
Quarterly Results Conference Call
Marin Software will host a conference call today at 2:00 PM Pacific Time (5:00 PM Eastern Time) to review the Company’s financial results for the second quarter ended June 30, 2017, and its outlook for the future. To access the call, please dial (877) 705-6003 in the U.S. or (201) 493-6725 internationally with reference to the company name and conference title. A live webcast of the conference call will be accessible at: http://public.viavid.com/index.php?id=125487. Following the completion of the call through 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on August 17, 2017, a recorded replay will be available for replay on the Company’s website at: http://investor.marinsoftware.com/ and a telephone replay will be available by dialing (844) 512-2921 in the U.S. or (412) 317-6671 internationally with the recording access code 13666649.
About Marin Software
Marin Software Incorporated’s (NYSE: MRIN) mission is to give advertisers the power to drive higher efficiency, effectiveness, and transparency in their paid marketing programs that run on the world’s largest publishers. Marin provides industry leading enterprise marketing software for advertisers and agencies to measure, manage, and optimize billions of dollars in annualized ad spend across the web and mobile devices. Offering an integrated SaaS ad management platform for search, social, and display advertising, Marin helps digital marketers improve financial performance, save time, and make better decisions. Advertisers use Marin to create, target, and convert precise audiences based on recent buying signals from users’ search, social, and display interactions. Headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in eight countries, Marin’s technology powers marketing campaigns around the globe. For more information about Marin Software, please visit: http://www.marinsoftware.com.
Non-GAAP Financial Measures
Marin uses certain non-GAAP financial measures in this release. Marin uses these non-GAAP financial measures internally in analyzing its financial results and believes they are useful to investors, as a supplement to GAAP measures, in evaluating its ongoing operational performance. Marin believes that the use of these non-GAAP financial measures provides an additional tool for investors to use in evaluating ongoing operating results and trends and in comparing our financial results with other companies in our industry, many of which present similar non-GAAP financial measures to investors. Non-GAAP financial measures that Marin uses may differ from measures that other companies may use.
Non-GAAP financial measures should not be considered in isolation from, or as a substitute for, financial information prepared in accordance with GAAP. A reconciliation of the non-GAAP financial measures to their most directly comparable GAAP measures has been provided in the financial statement tables included below in this press release. Investors are encouraged to review the reconciliation of these non-GAAP financial measures to their most directly comparable GAAP financial measures. Non-GAAP expenses, measures and net loss per share. Marin defines non-GAAP sales and marketing, non-GAAP research and development, non-GAAP general and administrative, non-GAAP gross profit, non-GAAP operating loss and non-GAAP net loss as the respective GAAP balances, adjusted for stock-based compensation expense, the amortization of intangible assets, the capitalization of internally developed software, the impairment of goodwill and long-lived assets, non-cash expenses related to debt agreements, the amortization of internally developed software and the non-recurring costs associated with acquisitions and restructurings. Non-GAAP net loss per share is calculated as non-GAAP net loss divided by the weighted average shares outstanding that are adjusted to assume the conversion of outstanding preferred shares to common shares as of the beginning of the period.
Adjusted EBITDA. Marin defines Adjusted EBITDA as net income (loss), adjusted for stock-based compensation expense, depreciation, the amortization of internally developed software, the amortization of intangible assets, the capitalization of internally developed software, the impairment of goodwill and long-lived assets, interest expense, net, the benefit from or provision for income taxes, other income or expenses, net and the non-recurring costs associated with acquisitions and restructurings. These amounts are often excluded by other companies to help investors understand the operational performance of their business. The Company uses Adjusted EBITDA as a measurement of its operating performance and for bonus compensation purposes, because it assists in comparing the operating performance on a consistent basis by removing the impact of certain non-cash and non-operating items. Adjusted EBITDA reflects an additional way of viewing aspects of the operations that Marin believes, when viewed with the GAAP results and the accompanying reconciliations to corresponding GAAP financial measures, provide a more complete understanding of factors and trends affecting its business.
This press release contains forward-looking statements including, among other things, statements regarding Marin’s business, expectations about our ability to return to growth, impact of investments in product and technology on future operating results, progress on product development efforts, product capabilities and future financial results, including its outlook for the third quarter of 2017. These forward-looking statements are subject to the safe harbor provisions created by the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Actual results could differ materially from those projected in the forward-looking statements as a result of certain risk factors, including but not limited to our ability to grow sales to new and existing customers; our ability to expand our sales and marketing capabilities; our ability to retain and attract qualified management and technical personnel; delays in the release of updates to our product platform or new features; competitive factors, including but not limited to pricing pressures, entry of new competitors and new applications; quarterly fluctuations in our operating results due to a number of factors; inability to adequately forecast our future revenues, expenses, Adjusted EBITDA, cash flows or other financial metrics; delays, reductions or slower growth in the amount spent on online and mobile advertising and the development of the market for cloud-based software; progress in our efforts to update our software platform; adverse changes in our relationships with and access to publishers and advertising agencies; level of usage and advertising spend managed on our platform; our ability to expand sales of our solutions in channels other than search advertising; any slow-down in the search advertising market generally; shift in customer digital advertising budgets from search to segments in which we are not as deeply penetrated; the development of the market for digital advertising; acceptance and continued usage of our platform and services by customers and our ability to provide high-quality technical support to our customers; material defects in our platform including those resulting from any updates we introduce to our platform, service interruptions at our single third-party data center or breaches in our security measures; our ability to develop enhancements to our platform; our ability to protect our intellectual property; our ability to manage risks associated with international operations; the impact of fluctuations in currency exchange rates, particularly an increase in the value of the dollar; near term changes in sales of our software services or spend under management may not be immediately reflected in our results due to our subscription business model; adverse changes in general economic or market conditions; and the ability to acquire and integrate other businesses. These forward-looking statements are based on current expectations and are subject to uncertainties and changes in condition, significance, value and effect as well as other risks detailed in documents filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including our most recent report on Form 10-K, recent reports on Form 10-Q and current reports on Form 8-K which we may file from time to time, all of which are available free of charge at the SEC’s website at www.sec.gov. Any of these risks could cause actual results to differ materially from expectations set forth in the forward-looking statements. All forward-looking statements in this press release reflect Marin’s expectations as of August 10, 2017. Marin assumes no obligation to, and expressly disclaims any obligation to update any such forward-looking statements after the date of this release.
Investor Relations Contact:
Investor Relations, Marin Software
Marketing, Marin Software