7 Smart Ways to Retarget Across Devices with Facebook Custom Audiences

Maria Breaux
|
February 26, 2014

Did you know? Only 2% of website visitors convert on their first visit. While that's a scary thought for marketers, thankfully retargeting allows us to zero in on the other 98% of visitors who have already expressed interest but need a further nudge to buy.

Many publishers are doing cool things with retargeting, but we want to call out Facebook's official launch of Custom Audiences from Your Website as a real game-changer. By simply appending Facebook's tracking pixel, any marketer can now segment website visitors into target audiences and re-engage them with highly targeted messages across the world's largest social network. Even better, Custom Audiences from Your Website actually extends beyond desktop, making it the first true cross-device retargeting solution.

So how can you take advantage of this new solution? Consider these 7 ways to reach, engage, nurture, and acquire customers across devices:

1) Retarget website visitors. Re-engage Facebook users who bounced from your site without converting. Give them a reason to reconsider your brand with a call to action that is tailored to the device they are using.

2) Retarget at the product level. It's now possible to re-engage visitors based on the products or services they last viewed on your website. Create a Custom Audience based on a segment of website visitors who viewed a particular category of products, and then reach out to them with tailored creative and messaging.

3) Retarget mobile app users on desktop. Using Custom Audiences from Your Website, marketers can more easily connect the dots between customers who use their mobile app but purchase on another device.

4) Retarget website visitors on mobile. It's also possible to retarget visitors who have come to your website through a desktop device with a mobile targeted ad. This is a great way to reach users while they are on-the-go with geo-specific mobile campaigns. Consider using a call to action that encourages users to stop by a nearby retail location.

5) Cross-sell or up-sell to existing customers. Custom Audiences offers a great opportunity to engage with existing, high-value customers. Try creating new segments in Facebook based on converting visitors. Then re-engage on Facebook with an offer, reward, or suggestion of a complementary product.

6) Nurture leads and engage current customers. To use Facebook remarketing as a substitute or complement to your email programs, create new Facebook campaigns with the specific goal of customer or lead outreach, and tailor your KPIs accordingly. For example, run Facebook ads to update your customers on new blog posts, white papers, or events.

7) Retarget users on Facebook based on search history. Use a tool like Marin to combine the power of Custom Audiences with search retargeting. This will allow you to map the buying intentions and potential lifetime value of your website visitors, so you can budget and bid more effectively.

Sign Up and Get Updates by Email
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.