Marin Software Announces Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2015 Financial Results
- Reported fourth quarter Adjusted EBITDA of $3.5 million, an increase of $6.6 million, compared to ($3.1) million in the fourth quarter of 2014
- Generated $4.0 million of cash in the quarter, compared to a decline of ($7.5) million in the fourth quarter of 2014
- Reported first ever quarter of non-GAAP profitability, resulting in non-GAAP earnings per share of $0.04
- Managed $7.8 billion in annualized marketing spend on Marin’s platform
San Francisco, CA (February 18, 2016) – Marin Software Incorporated (NYSE: MRIN), provider of a leading cross-channel performance advertising cloud for advertisers and agencies, today announced financial results for the fourth quarter and full year ended December 31, 2015.
“We are pleased to report a strong finish to 2015. Not only did we exceed our revenue expectations in the fourth quarter, but we achieved positive Adjusted EBITDA, positive non-GAAP earnings per share and positive free cash flow for the first time in the Company’s history,” said David A. Yovanno, chief executive officer of Marin Software. “We are clearly making progress in transforming our business and we believe that our investments in the Marin platform position us to realize our multichannel Ad Cloud vision in 2016.”
Fourth Quarter 2015 Financial Highlights:
- Net revenues totaled $29.0 million, a year-over-year increase of 7% when compared to $27.0 million in the fourth quarter of 2014. On a non-GAAP constant currency basis, revenues increased year-over-year by 10% when compared to the fourth quarter of 2014.
- GAAP gross profit was $19.6 million, resulting in a gross margin of 67%, compared to GAAP gross margin of 65% during the fourth quarter of 2014. Non-GAAP gross profit was $21.0 million, resulting in a non-GAAP gross margin of 72%, compared to non-GAAP gross margin of 69% during the fourth quarter of 2014.
- GAAP income from operations was ($2.1) million, compared to ($7.9) million for the fourth quarter of 2014. GAAP operating margin was (7%), compared to (29%) during the fourth quarter of 2014. Non-GAAP income from operations was $1.7 million, compared to ($4.6) million for the fourth quarter of 2014. Non-GAAP operating margin was 6%, compared to (17%) during the fourth quarter of 2014.
- GAAP net income was ($2.1) million or ($0.06) per share based on 37.2 million weighted average shares outstanding. This compares to ($8.8) million or ($0.25) per share based upon 35.1 million weighted average shares outstanding during the fourth quarter of 2014.
- Non-GAAP net income was $1.7 million or $0.04 per share based upon 37.2 million weighted average shares outstanding. This compares to ($5.3) million or ($0.15) per share based on 35.1 million weighted average shares outstanding during the fourth quarter of 2014.
- Adjusted EBITDA was $3.5 million, compared to ($3.1) million in the fourth quarter of 2014.
- As of December 31, 2015, cash and cash equivalents totaled $37.3 million, up $4.0 million quarter-over-quarter, and compared to $68.3 million as of December 31, 2014. Full Year 2015 Financial Highlights:
- Net revenues totaled $108.5 million, a year-over-year increase of 9% when compared to $99.4 million in 2014. On a non-GAAP constant currency basis, revenues increased year-over-year by 14% when compared to 2014.
- GAAP gross profit was $68.4 million, resulting in a gross margin of 63%, compared to GAAP gross margin of 64% during 2014. Non-GAAP gross profit was $73.3, resulting in a non-GAAP gross margin of 68%, compared to a non-GAAP gross margin of 67% during 2014.
- GAAP income from operations was ($32.4) million, compared to ($34.0) million in 2014. GAAP operating margin was (30%), compared to (34%) during 2014. Non-GAAP income from operations was ($14.9) million, compared to ($24.5) million for 2014. Non-GAAP operating margin was (14%), compared to (25%) during 2014.
- GAAP net income was ($33.3) million or ($0.91) per share based on 36.6 million weighted average shares outstanding. This compares to ($33.2) million or ($0.97) per share based on 34.2 million weighted average shares outstanding during 2014.
- Non-GAAP net income was ($15.7) million or ($0.43) per share based on 36.6 million weighted average shares outstanding. This compares to ($25.9) million or ($0.76) per share based on 34.2 million weighted average shares outstanding during 2014.
- Adjusted EBITDA was ($7.9) million, compared to ($18.8) million in 2014.
A reconciliation of GAAP to non-GAAP financial measures has been provided in the financial statement tables included in this press release. An explanation of these measures is also included below, under the heading "Non-GAAP Financial Measures."
Fourth Quarter 2015 Business and Product Release Highlights
- Released PositionLock™, an intraday bidding optimization feature designed to maintain customers’ preferred ad positions for each device type for their high traffic keywords.
- Released several improvements for the Google Shopping Campaigns offering, including product hierarchy management which enables efficient and scalable management of Google Shopping campaigns.
- Released support for Google Call Only Ads to help improve sales from mobile shoppers.
- Released support for Bing Shopping Campaigns and also Bing Native ads in support of retailers advertising strategies and Microsoft owned websites respectively.
- Released a number of enhancements to the display advertising offering including creative reach and frequency-based reporting and optimization, and bulk creative management. Marin also established several direct integrations with several leading ad exchanges including OpenX and Rubicon Project.
- Completed a number of strategic integrations with leading third party audience data and onboarding technology providers including Tune, adjust, AppsFlyer and LiveRamp (an Acxiom-owned company).
As of February 18, 2016, Marin is initiating guidance for its first quarter 2016 as follows:
Non-GAAP loss from operations and non-GAAP net loss per share excludes the effects of stock-based compensation, amortization of internally developed software, amortization of intangible assets, noncash expenses related to warrants, non-recurring costs associated with acquisitions and restructurings, benefit from income taxes related to acquisitions, and capitalization of internally developed software.
Quarterly Results Conference Call
Marin Software will host a conference call today at 2:00 PM Pacific Time (5:00 PM Eastern Time) to review the Company’s financial results for the quarter and full year ended December 31, 2015, and its outlook for the future. To access the call, please dial (877) 705-6003 in the U.S. or (201) 493-6725 internationally with reference to the company name and conference title. A live webcast of the conference call will be accessible from Marin Software’s website at: http://investor.marinsoftware.com/. Following the completion of the call through 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on February 25, 2016, a recording will be available for replay at: http://investor.marinsoftware.com/ and a telephone replay will be available by dialing (877) 870-5176 in the U.S. or (858) 384-5517 internationally with the recording access code 13629366.
About Marin Software
Marin Software Incorporated (NYSE:MRIN) provides a leading cross-channel performance advertising cloud for advertisers and agencies to measure, manage and optimize more than $7.8 billion in annualized ad spend across the web and mobile devices. Offering an integrated SaaS ad management platform for search, social, and display advertising, Marin helps digital marketers improve financial performance, save time, and make better decisions. Advertisers use Marin to create, target and convert precise audiences based on recent buying signals from users’ search, social, and display interactions. Headquartered in San Francisco with offices in eight countries, Marin’s technology powers marketing campaigns around the globe. For more information about Marin’s products, please visit: https://www.marinsoftware.com.
Non-GAAP Financial Measures
Marin uses certain non-GAAP financial measures in this release. Marin uses these non-GAAP financial measures internally in analyzing its financial results and believes they are useful to investors, as a supplement to GAAP measures, in evaluating its ongoing operational performance. Marin believes that the use of these non-GAAP financial measures provides an additional tool for investors to use in evaluating ongoing operating results and trends and in comparing our financial results with other companies in our industry, many of which present similar non-GAAP financial measures to investors. Non-GAAP financial measures that Marin uses may differ from measures that other companies may use.
Non-GAAP financial measures should not be considered in isolation from, or as a substitute for, financial information prepared in accordance with GAAP. A reconciliation of the non-GAAP financial measures to their most directly comparable GAAP measures has been provided in the financial statement tables included below in this press release. Investors are encouraged to review the reconciliation of these non-GAAP financial measures to their most directly comparable GAAP financial measures.
Non-GAAP expenses, measures and net loss per share. Marin defines non-GAAP sales and marketing, non-GAAP research and development, non-GAAP general and administrative, non-GAAP gross profit, non-GAAP operating loss and non-GAAP net loss as the respective GAAP balances, adjusted for stock-based compensation expense, the amortization of intangible assets, the capitalization of internally developed software, noncash expenses related to the issuance of warrants, the amortization of internally developed software, the benefit from income taxes related to acquisition and the non-recurring costs associated with acquisitions and restructurings. Non-GAAP net loss per share is calculated as non-GAAP net loss divided by the weighted average shares outstanding that are adjusted to assume the conversion of outstanding preferred shares to common shares as of the beginning of the period.
Adjusted EBITDA. Marin defines Adjusted EBITDA as net income (loss), adjusted for stock-based compensation expense, depreciation, the amortization of internally developed software, the amortization of intangible assets, the capitalization of internally developed software, interest expense, net, the benefit from or provision for income taxes, other income or expenses, net and the non-recurring costs associated with acquisitions and restructurings. These amounts are often excluded by other companies to help investors understand the operational performance of their business. The Company uses Adjusted EBITDA as a measurement of its operating performance and for bonus compensation purposes, because it assists in comparing the operating performance on a consistent basis by removing the impact of certain non-cash and non-operating items. Adjusted EBITDA reflects an additional way of viewing aspects of the operations that Marin believes, when viewed with the GAAP results and the accompanying reconciliations to corresponding GAAP financial measures, provide a more complete understanding of factors and trends affecting its business.
Non-GAAP constant currency revenues and growth. Marin defines non-GAAP constant currency revenues as total revenues excluding the impact of foreign exchange rate movements, and uses it to determine the constant currency revenue growth on a year-over-year basis. Non-GAAP constant currency revenues are calculated by translating current quarter or year-to-date revenues using the average prior period exchange rates. Constant currency revenue growth (expressed as a percentage) is calculated by determining the increase in current quarter and year-to-date revenues over prior period revenues, where current quarter and year-to-date international revenues are translated using prior period exchange rates. The Company considers non-GAAP constant currency revenues and growth as useful metrics as they facilitate management's internal comparison to historical performance, because they exclude the effects of foreign currency volatility that are not indicative of the Company’s operating results. Marin believes they provide useful supplemental information to investors about the financial performance of the business, enable a comparison of financial results between periods where certain items may vary independent of business performance and allow for greater transparency with respect to key metrics used by management in operating the business.
This press release contains forward-looking statements including, among other things, statements regarding Marin’s business, growth, benefits of investment in Marin’s software platform, position in the industry, product capabilities and adjusted EBITDA projections and other future financial results, including its outlook for the first quarter of 2016. These forward-looking statements are subject to the safe harbor provisions created by the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Actual results could differ materially from those projected in the forward-looking statements as a result of certain risk factors, including but not limited to our ability to grow sales to new and existing customers; our ability to expand our sales and marketing capabilities; our ability to retain and attract qualified management and technical personnel; competitive factors, including but not limited to pricing pressures, entry of new competitors and new applications; quarterly fluctuations in our operating results due to a number of factors; inability to adequately forecast our future revenue, expenses, Adjusted EBITDA, cash flows or other financial metrics; delays, reductions or slower growth in the amount spent on online and mobile advertising and the development of the market for cloud-based software; progress in our efforts to update our software platform; adverse changes in our relationships with and access to publishers and advertising agencies; level of usage and advertising spend managed on our platform; our ability to expand sales of our solutions in channels other than search advertising; any slow-down in the search advertising market generally; shift in customer digital advertising budgets from search to segments in which we are not as deeply penetrated; the development of the market for digital advertising; acceptance and continued usage of our platform and services by customers and our ability to provide high-quality technical support to our customers; material defects in our platform including those resulting from any updates we introduce to our platform, service interruptions at our single third-party data center or breaches in our security measures; our ability to develop enhancements to our platform; our ability to protect our intellectual property; our ability to manage risks associated with international operations; the impact of fluctuations in currency exchange rates, particularly an increase in the value of the dollar; near term changes in sales of our software services or spend under management may not be immediately reflected in our results due to our subscription business model; adverse changes in general economic or market conditions; and the ability to acquire and integrate other businesses, including our acquisitions of Perfect Audience and SocialMoov. These forward looking statements are based on current expectations and are subject to uncertainties and changes in condition, significance, value and effect as well as other risks detailed in documents filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including our most recent report on Form 10-K, recent reports on Form 10-Q and current reports on Form 8-K which we may file from time to time, all of which are available free of charge at the SEC’s website at www.sec.gov. Any of these risks could cause actual results to differ materially from expectations set forth in the forward-looking statements. All forward-looking statements in this press release reflect Marin’s expectations as of February 18, 2016. Marin assumes no obligation to, and expressly disclaims any obligation to update any such forward-looking statements after the date of this release.
Investor Relations Contact:
Investor Relations, Marin Software
Marketing, Marin Software