Marin Software Finds Consumers Embrace Facebook Ads for Holiday Shopping
Five days in November are critical to online retail success according to Marin Software study.
SAN FRANCISCO, CA October 09, 2012— Marin Software, provider of the leading digital ad management platform for advertisers and agencies, today announced its "Online Marketer’s Guide for the Holidays", a study of holiday trend data culled from the company’s more than 1,800 advertisers. Report findings show holiday season consumers incorporate Facebook ads in their hunt for holiday deals in a manner similar to paid search. The report also shows the Thanksgiving weekend yields five of the top six shopping days of the year for online advertisers, with dramatic spikes in revenue driven by paid search and Facebook ad clicks.
- According to data analyzed by Marin Software, online advertising revenues spiked over the Thanksgiving through Cyber Monday weekend in 2011, producing five of the top six online shopping days. Black Friday drew the highest return with marketers acquiring 300% more revenue from paid search ads compared to 2010, followed by Cyber Monday with 260% increase. The dramatic increase in paid search revenues on key dates suggests consumers are increasingly seeking out holiday deals online via search, and underscores how critical it is for retailers to time their holiday ad campaigns accordingly in the upcoming season.
- Facebook holiday shopping trends in 2011 resembled that of paid search with Facebook-originated ad revenues spiking over the Thanksgiving weekend. The search-like spikes indicate holiday consumers turn to Facebook not just for social interaction and sharing, but also to find deals and recommendations. Interestingly, Cyber Monday returned a higher level of revenue than Black Friday for Facebook advertisers in 2011.
- In addition to the holiday report, Marin Software also released its "Global Online Advertising Trends” quarterly report, which examines key trends in paid search, mobile and social ads. On a year-over-year basis for Google advertisers, Marin Software saw an 11% increase in click volume, a 4% decrease in cost-per-click (CPC), and a 7% decrease in click-through rate (CTR) during the third quarter.
- For Yahoo and Bing advertisers, on a year-over-year basis, Marin Software saw 9% higher click volumes, a 24% jump in CPC and a 9% increase in click-through rate during the third quarter.
- “The pressure is on for retailers heading into the holiday season. Based off of what we saw last year, the stretch between Thanksgiving and Cyber Monday will be critical to retailers’ success as shoppers become increasingly attuned to promotional events during the holidays,” said Matt Lawson, vice president of marketing and partnerships at Marin Software. “Similarly, Facebook is an advertising channel that smart marketers should not ignore as our data shows the social site taking on search-like characteristics during the holiday season.”