Click here to view this article on an external site.
Mobile Ads Shifting from Influencing to Converting Online Purchases
Smartphones and tablets account for 30% of conversions on Google and 35% of conversions on Facebook
San Francisco, CA – October 15, 2014 – As mobile adoption grows, smartphones and tablets are taking more prominent roles in the customer buying journey. A new report by Marin Software (NYSE:MRIN), provider of a leading cross-channel performance advertising cloud, reveals smartphones and tablets comprise about one third of ad conversions on Google and Facebook. The rise in ad conversions on mobile devices suggests consumers are becoming increasingly more comfortable using smartphones and tablets to complete online transactions.
- Mobile devices play a vital role in the purchase decision process. While completing online transactions remains largely a desktop activity, a recent study by Marin Software analyzing the conversion rate of mobile ads suggests smartphones and tablets are increasingly being used by consumers to complete purchases.
- The mobile conversion trend is consistent across channels, with similar increases recorded for search, social and display ads as consumers engage and complete transactions across the web from their smartphones and tablets.
- During Q3 2014, Marin Software found more than one out of every three ad conversions on Facebook took place on a mobile device with mobile ad conversions increasing 16% quarter-over-quarter. Mobile ads on Facebook accounted for 52% of ad impressions and 63% of clicks.
- According to Marin Software, in Q3 mobile devices comprised 31% of paid search impressions and 38% of search ad clicks on Google. Similar to Facebook, mobile accounted for 30% of ad conversions with mobile conversions increasing 2.4% quarter-over-quarter and nearly 11% year-over-year.
- In analyzing display advertising, Marin Software noticed similar mobile trends to search and social advertising. Mobile devices accounted for 40% of ad impressions, 54% of ad clicks, and 38.6 of conversions. Mobile conversions increased 4.4% quarter-over-quarter and 15.8% year-over-year.
- Marin Software expects consumers to continue to increase their engagement with brands via mobile ads and complete more purchases on their mobile devices. Advertisers are taking advantage of this trend and augmenting their investment in mobile ads for search, social and display channels.
- For additional insights and trends in search, display, and social performance advertising across devices, download Marin Software’s The Q3 2014 Performance Marketer’s Benchmark Report at: www.marinsoftware.com/resources/whitepapers/the-performance-marketers-benchmark-report-q3-2014-vital-search-social-display-performance-data-by-device.